21 teens who died in South African bar all had toxic methanol in blood

0
46
21 teens who died in South African

MAKENA MWANGI

21 teens who died in South African

Methanol, may be the cause of the death of 21 teenagers at a bar in East London, South Africa last month.

The toxic chemical was found in the bloodstreams of all 21 teenagers, whose lifeless bodies police found slumped over chairs and couches, lying on tables and sprawled on the dance floor at Enyobeni Tavern.

“Methanol has been detected in all the 21 individuals that were there, however there is still progressive analysis of the quantitative levels of methanol and whether it could have been the final cause of death,” Dr. Litha Matiwane, Eastern Cape provincial deputy director for clinical service, said at a press conference on Tuesday. teens likely killed by unknown

Initially, authorities thought the victims had died because of alcohol poisoning or carbon monoxide inhalation, but both of these potential causes have since been ruled out, said Matiwane.

In the wake of the tragedy, the owner and some employees of Enyobeni Tavern were arrested for violating liquor trading laws, including selling liquor to minors, but are currently out on bail.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here